Wednesday, March 23, 2016

After High School

College. Very scary. Very intimidating. There are so many different choices perfect for any criteria. Want a nursing school? There is one. A college specific to aerospace engineering? There is one for that too. For goodness sakes, there is even one for if you want to be a character in Disney World! There is a college out there for everyone. So why is it so hard to chose one? Heck, I can't even chose four or five to seriously consider! I thought I knew, but I didn't.

And when did my options start to dwindle down? When I was kid, my parents and my teachers constantly told me that I could do anything I wanted, go anywhere I wanted when I grow up. When did that start changing? Why, when I say that I want to be a music major, do people all attack me with phrases like, "You'll never be successful" "You'll never have a high paycheck" "You'll have no job security." Yes, I have considered it! I'm not going to change my mind. I love what I do and I want to do it for the rest of my life. I'm so tired of people criticizing my passions by telling me to grow up and choose something more practical. It's my life, not yours and gosh darn it, I am going to enjoy it.

When did the idea of going anywhere for college dissipate? All of a sudden, people are trying to encourage me to stay in state. In fact, my parents are practically making me. What if I don't want to go to an instate college? Money can be issue, I get that. But, I have a high enough ACT score to get decent scholarships and plenty of opportunities to raise that score. I'm also applying for several separate scholarships in addition to that. Plus, I'm already planning on getting a job! Money is not an issue. Another reason they want me to stay in state is because of travel time. They don't want to travel long hours to watch my marching band performances or concerts or anything else. They also want me to be able to visit them. They'll miss me. I understand that. I really do. In fact, I'd love for them to watch me, but I also want to go to the best undergrad school I can for music. That school is not instate. Music is a very competitive field, with lots of people vying for minimum spots. I need that leg up for graduate school.  My parents also say that some schools I am considering aren't good enough for me. "Their accepting ACT score is way too low" "People only go there when they can't go anywhere else." Yes, I completely understand that. They want me to be successful and challenged. Very plausible. But if it's a good school for music, why shouldn't I at least consider it?

My parents have good intentions. They just want what's best for me. They want me to go to college cheap for my bachelor's to save all my money for graduate school. They want to see my band performances and support me. They want me to succeed and go to a good instate school that will challenge me! I appreciate all their time and research and help and advice. I just don't want my options limited. I want to be free to go wherever I want that is good for music and that I can get money for. I want the freedom to be an adult and make adult decisions for MY future and MY success. I don't want someone else to make those decisions for me.


 photo isabelle signature_zps43bu3t0r.png

No comments:

Post a Comment