Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Life as a Book Character

As I am lounging here in my hammock in the middle of the woods devouring books, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to be one of the characters in my stories. In many ways, it seems impossible. All the female characters in teen fiction books are alluring, beautiful with and without makeup on, guarded, irresistible, mysterious, and the guy always falls helplessly in love with her. The girl is never mean, never cruel, and everything always works out for her. Every time I read a book depicting such a utopia, I find myself wishing I could be like her. While she has problems, in the end it all works out. She gets the perfect guy, she gets into her dream college, she gets a clean resolution. All loose ends tied into a neat little bow.

In contrast, real life pales in comparison. You don't always get the perfect guy. You don't always get into your dream college. Everything doesn't always work out. So what would it be like to live in a world that everything did? I've spent countless summer days reading about these powerful females and trying to learn from them, emulate them and their personalities so my life could be just as picturesque as theirs. I want their carefree adventures, their true love, and their happy endings. Unsurprisingly, pretending to be someone you aren't doesn't do much good for you. All I managed to do was confuse and hurt myself when it didn't work out like the storylines. But that doesn't stop my imagination from longing for such perfection. What it be like to be a character in a book? Sometimes I wish I was one.

Kisses,

Isabelle 🤔💭

P.S Stay tuned for a guest post coming up in the next few days! I will be guest posting on The Strange Musician. Hope everyone will check it out!
 photo isabelle signature_zps43bu3t0r.png

No comments:

Post a Comment